CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A devastating realisation

I was truly devastated to read this piece on xenophobia. Perhaps I am extremely naive or unaware but I was of the impression that xenophobia was not a problem at Rhodes. Your blog has shown me that this is in fact not the case. It is inexcusable really. What is our country coming to when what they call "the top two percent" of our citizens can possess such a warped and destructive mentality? Our country should, above all others, know what acceptance means. Our peaceful transition from a once disgusting regime into one of democracy has been such a blessing and now it seems that our people are taking it for granted. How easily we forget what pain feels like when we are living in peace. I hope that if Rhodes gives these narrow minded students nothing else, they can at least leave with the realisation that all those amongst are humans, one people that need to come together to make this world a better place. Thank you for making me aware of this problem. Hopefully such words as yours can help to make people aware of their ignorance. Lucy from 4burstbubbles.

0 comments: